(Download the job offer)
Location: Maison Française d'Oxford, 2-10 Norham Road, Oxford OX2 6SE
- Starting salary: £16,968 to £23,000 per annum (pro-rata)
- 20 hours of work per week (Monday to Friday)
- Reporting to the Director of the Maison
- Contract type: one-year contract with 3 months’ probation
- Closing date for applications: 2 July 2021, 07.00pm
- Date of interview: 9 July 2021
- Starting date: 13 September 2021
The Maison Française is a French institute associated with the University of Oxford for the exchange of information on France, the French-speaking world and their European context. It is an academic centre for French studies in Oxford and for Franco-British collaborations in all fields of knowledge. It provides assistance and hosts French academics and students who need to engage with the University of Oxford in connection with their studies.
The library of the Maison Française works in direct partnership with the Oxford University libraries network through the SOLO catalogue.
While research is at the heart of the library project, it also welcomes families and intergenerational audiences.
At the border of a university library and a public library, the library of the Maison Française plays a major role in the development of research and the promotion of French culture in Oxford.
The library is open to the public from 1.30 to 5.30 from Monday to Friday.
Overview of the role:
The librarian will manage the library of the Maison Française under the Director’s supervision.
- Reader services and information skills;
- Responsible for reader services: registering new readers, managing book and DVD loans;
- Providing advice, assistance and consultation services;
- Collection development and management ;
- Responsible for collection development and management;
- Labelling and shelving books (Dewey system), cataloguing, stock-holding and re-shelving;
- Organising the acquisition of books and films. Ordering new books, managing donations;
- Liaising with the Bodleian libraries and with neighbouring colleges for training and for maintaining the good order of the data for the Maison in the OLIS database;
- Organising small displays;
- Cataloguing journals and articles on HAL (open access repository/archive).
The Maison Française reserves the right to make reasonable amendments to the job description in consultation with the post-holder at any time.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken French (at least A-level or equivalent);
- Training in library/information science or relevant library work experience (ideally in the University of Oxford);
- Good knowledge of French publishing and the Dewey classification system.
- Experience of collection management;
- Proven ability to work flexibly and collaboratively;
- Demonstrably excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Good information skills including significant experience of online resources;
- Good IT skills, with proven proficiency in the use of web and office technologies;
- Ability to work independently and to prioritise workloads.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org before 2 July 2021, 07.00 pm.
Please also include the names and contact details of two recent employers, who can be contacted for a reference.